Have you ever dreamt of pursuing an undergraduate program in the United Kingdom? Are you unable to satisfy all the financial requirements for studying in the UK? If you are, then a Scotland Saltire Scholarships should be on your list of opportunities to grab.
To pursue a scholarship is no easy feat, especially with so many competitors aiming for it alongside you. However, this post will show you everything you need to know about the Scotland Saltire scholarship in full detail. Ensure you stick with this post to the end to grab all the vital information I shall embed in it.
About Scotland Saltire
The word ‘Scotland Saltire’ refers to the Scottish Flag. The word ‘saltire’ originates from the French word ‘salteur’ or ‘saultoir’, which describes a construction from two cross pieces. In modern English, the word means ‘a cross with diagonal bars of equal length’.
This flag first appeared in an illustration in Sir David Lyndsay of the Mount’s Register of Scottish Arms. Before this period in 1542, folks believe the flag showed up in other earlier times in the 15th century. It also features two large white lines that form a cross – a saltire – defacing a blue field.
What is the Scotland Saltire Scholarship?
The Scotland Saltire Scholarship is a program of several scholarships which the Scottish government offers. These scholarships result from the government’s partnership with Scottish universities and colleges to render quality education.
Saltire Scholarship awards scholars who dream of becoming leaders in the future society. It favors those with the goal of assuming leadership positions in their respective fields of career. The awardees also include those curious to learn beyond their scope and broaden their academic experience.
The scholarship awards up to fifty individuals every year, with each award worth eight thousand euros. The scheme gives the prize for any one year of full-time study on a postgraduate Master’s program. It is also open to any higher education institutions within Scotland.
The scholarship covers the following countries: China (including Hong Kong), the USA, Japan, Pakistan, India, and Canada.
As a Saltire scholar, you are open to several opportunities. These benefits include a chance to participate in activities beyond the scope of your studies. It consists of a dialogue with Scotland’s academic and business community.
Again, you’ll stand as an ambassador not just for the Saltire Scholarship program but also for Scotland as a whole. It is an incredible opportunity to study in a country with world-leading universities.
Additionally, the scholarship focuses on assisting with the tuition fees, thereby reducing the burden of paying excess for studying. So if you were worried about how to go around so many payments, you don’t have to worry anymore.
For a successful application, you must meet all the eligibility criteria for the forum to consider you. Before applying, ensure you thoroughly go through all the terms and see that you’re ready to go.
All applicants for the scholarship must be:
- A first-time applicant, which means you must not have enrolled in a Saltire scholarship before
- A citizen of the acceptable countries: Pakistan, India, Japan, China (including Hong Kong), Canada, and the USA
- Enrolling in the area of studies accepted by the forum. The eligible fields of study include Science, Technology, Medical Science, Renewable and Clean Energy, Healthcare, and Creative Industries.
The Saltire scholarship does not cater to the living expenses in Scotland. Aside from the criteria above, the applicants must:
- Demonstrate available finances for the payment of the remaining tuition fees and expenses for living in Scotland
- Have received a conditional or non-conditional offer letter from any Scottish university
- Provide reasons for studying in Scotland with benefits of the course chosen
- Present leadership qualities to prove their ability in using their courses effectively for the well-being of the society
Scholarship Terms and Conditions
There are other personal terms and conditions the forum requires of every applicant. The applicant must:
- Be willing to support and boost Scottish universities, studying in the UK, and the Saltire scholarship program. They can do this by interacting with other students and posting it on social media. Active participation in the advertisement activities of the scholarship program is also one of the ways to do this.
- Have a good and highly disciplined composure, a polished attitude, and zeal towards the scholarship and the institution of study
- Be willing to take part in extra co-curricular activities and other conferences and seminars the scholarship program organizes
- Agree that the scholarship authorities can use his/her data for promotional activities under the privacy protection laws
How to Apply for the Scotland Saltire Scholarship
Before you proceed to apply, get the following documents ready:
- Copy of all educational documents
- Copies of your undergraduate certificates
- English Language Certificates
- Intent Letter for Scholarship application
- Recommendation letters from at least two professors of the previous institute
- Scholarship application resume
- Letter of motivation explaining the purpose of the application
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Research Proposal
- A valid passport
- Study Plan Essay
Once you have the documents set, you may proceed to your application. Follow the steps below:
- Take note of the reference number you will receive in the offer from your Scottish university.
- Ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria above, as the forum will not consider applicants that don’t meet them
- Keep in mind that individual universities have their deadlines for the Saltire scholarship. Check the university’s deadline of your choice to ensure you are applying at the right time.
- Visit the Saltire website and pick up an application form
- Fill out the application form with all the necessary details. Ensure there are no errors in your inputs and fill all spaces with the correct information. Don’t try to maneuver any detail.
- The application form has a field for three essays of 250 words each. These essays answer the questions:
- How Saltire scholarships can help you in the future and how you can promote Scotland
- Explain the experience and abilities you have in communication and other skills when relating with others
- The reasons for choosing Scotland and the program you chose earlier to study
- In the right places, attach all the documents you have ready
- Submit your application
After submitting your application, sit back and wait for the selection phase to last several weeks. Visit the Scotland Saltire site for more information.