Canada has grown from scratch to become one of the most welcoming countries globally. Studying there can only get better with so many economic and industrial potentials. Unfortunately, furthering your academics abroad can be very challenging.
Nevertheless, with Canadian scholarships readily available, it doesn’t always have to be complicated. In this post, I’ll show you the top four scholarships in Canada. You’ll also get details on their benefits, requirements, and application processes.
The top four Canadian Scholarships are:
- Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at University of Toronto
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Also Read: Top Canadian Postgraduate Scholarships
Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
The Donald A. Wehrung award seeks international undergraduate students with impressive academic excellence. It focuses on war-affected and impoverished areas where these students will be unable to further their academics. Hence, it grants them the necessary financial assistance they need.
It offers undergraduate degrees at the University of British Columbia
The award covers all tuition and living expenses respective to the degree of study. The candidate can renew it for up to three years.
- Applicants should be international students studying in Canada from a well-known high school.
- They must be applying two years after graduating from high school and no less than that.
- The application must be the first undergraduate degree of the applicant
- There must be a strong reason for application, especially a level of financial need
- Every other requirement of the university must apply to the candidates
Students can not just apply as they please. To apply, your school or a non-profit organization must nominate you. Additionally, the platform will demand a reference from an academic referee.
Therefore, begin by ensuring your school or nonprofit organization is willing and able to nominate you. Inform them you’ll like to apply for the program. Also, ensure they have the reference ready for when you are applying.
Ensure you meet all requirements for the scholarship and UBC. It is compulsory to meet the English Language Admission requirements of the university as well. Once you’ve cleared all these, visit the website to begin your application.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at University of Toronto
This forum is one scholarship that comes from the famous University of Toronto. The scholarship aims to fund students who portray unmatchable academic prowess. It also recognizes students who were leaders in their school.
The interesting Lester B. Pearson Scholarship emphasizes the student’s impact on school and community. It also examines their potential to contribute to the global community shortly.
Lester B. Pearson covers tuition fees, living expenses, and other academic fees. It awards up to 37 students every season.
- For non-Canadian students who require a study permit to further in the country
- In their final way in secondary school at the time of application. If this is not possible, the applicant shouldn’t have graduated so long ago, at least six months from application time.
- They are beginning postsecondary school for the first time at the university. Students who have started postsecondary school are not eligible.
The application works with a nomination from the secondary school. All applicants should have applied for an undergraduate degree course at the University.
After the university has gotten your nomination and you’ve applied for the course, you may proceed. Pick and submit your application form on the online Lester B. Pearson portal. Finish all processes before the deadline.
Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
This agenda is another top scholarship aiming to develop world leaders, as the name implies. The University of Winnipeg awards international students coming in for the first time. It offers 53 scholarships.
The scholarship offers a whopping funding offer with a tag of $5,000.
All applicants must:
- Be an international or foreign student
- Acquire a minimum of 80% admission average or equivalent grade. The funding aligns with any application degree from graduate and undergraduate to collegiate, PACE, or ELP.
- Be entering the first year of the program, they choose
- Portray powerful leadership qualities
Apply by completing an application form for admission into the institution. Applicants must submit this application with the supporting documents. All applications should come in before the deadline the platform proposes.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is one of the top four Canadian scholarships today. Its goal is to establish exceptional doctoral students. Furthermore, it also aims to boost Canada’s image as an excellent place for higher-level education.
It awards 166 scholarships for doctoral degrees. This degree could either be a master’s or PhD.
The scholarship offers a value worth about $50,000 which extends to a period of three years.
All applicants must:
- Be applying for a doctoral degree for the first time. Furthermore, only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is accepted
- Have been nominated by one Canadian institution only. The institution in question must have gotten a Vanier CGS quota.
- Get a first-class average in the last two years of full-time study or an equivalent. Contact the institution to know how they determine the average first-class grade.
- Have finished at least 20 months of doctoral study
- Be willing to pursue a full-time doctoral degree following the announcement of results. Aside from this, they might also intend to follow any other joint graduate program
- Have finished at least 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program. This condition applies if they are in a joint graduate research program
- Not have held a doctoral-level scholarship nor hold one at the moment. Furthermore, the applicant must not hold a fellowship from NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR to attain a doctoral degree
A Canadian institution must nominate all candidates as they cannot apply directly. Nevertheless, the student initiates the process by discussing his intent to apply, or the institution does so.
The student has the task of preparing the application before submitting it to the nominating institution. Hence, all students should note the institution’s deadline that applies to them using the ResearchNet application system.
The nominating institution forwards all applications to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat.